May 28, 2010

Mulago Hospital

Today I journeyed in to the city of Kampala with Jonathan, who lives and helps at the APP house. Kampala is full of character and charm, but also full of dirt, dust, and lots of people.

Our journey started by climbing in to a 14 passenger matatu, which is basically a large taxi van that is very stuffy and a bit smelly. But on the bright side, they are cheap! We stopped to visit two shopping centers so I would know where to buy things I may need while staying here.

We then boarded another matatu to visit a patient at Mulago hospital that Jonathan had been helping care for. The hospital was not like any I have ever seen. There were patients on the floor on mats. Beds lined the hallways. People were suffering due to lack of blankets, space, medicine, and food.

While there I met a few amazing individuals who work to care for those who cannot afford healthcare. They gave me a tour, introduced me to a few patients, and tried to teach me a few words of Luganda, which I failed miserably at. The first patient I met did not speak English, yet her smile, hugs, and the way she held my hand conveyed that this woman, who was found ill on the streets and was now in a great amount of pain and sitting in the hospital hallways, was one of the kindest and most appreciative individuals I have ever met. She was delighted to be in my presence, her face lit up at my blue eyes, light skin, and youth. I think I made her day, and she made mine.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a powerful experience, Jules. ;) I'm happy for you (and for this special woman in your blog). Go public service!! ;) Hope the travels (and travel partners...) are all going as great as you hoped. ;) Have a great day today! -AT

    ReplyDelete