May 18, 2010

Out of Africa

I watched the movie Out of Africa for the first time yesterday. I know, I know its a classic and yes I named my blog after it before seeing the movie. But in my defense, the movie was created two years before I was born!

First of all, lets talk about how dreamy Robert Redford is...



Alright, now that that is out of my system.

Although, the love story was heart wrenching and the scenery and wildlife awe worthy, the part of the movie that caught my attention the most was Meryl Streep's character Karen's sense of ownership over the land, the people, and the continent and the way Denys, Robert Redford's character, called her out on her sentiment, as only a lusty, wise, and rugged Redford could do. As Karen fell in love with the country and it's people, her desire grew to better them through education and protect those who had lived on the land she purchased.

Her efforts seemed ironic to me due to her invasion of their land, her belief that imposing English upon them would "help" them, and her blatant superiority complex. As I watched the movie and as Karen grew to appreciate the culture, I had hopes that she would shut down the school that taught English and realize the people were not suffering or ignorant or what have you. This was not case.

This frustration caused by Karen's efforts will most likely reappear throughout my summer, but who knows maybe I will be happily surprised.

Karen Blixen: Perhaps he knew, as I did not, that the Earth was made round so that we would not see too far down the road.




2 comments:

  1. I watched the movie for the first time a few months ago. Felt very similarly.

    ReplyDelete