May 21, 2010

Stop 1: O'Hare to Heathrow to Hyde Park

I made it to London. The headquarters of African Prisons Project and the first stop on my multi-destination trip.

I flew business standby from O'Hare to Heathrow. It was almost the worst decision I have ever made, but turned in to one of the better. I literally got on the last flight to London of the day and got the last seat on the plane. And by last seat, I mean a seat in business class. I officially can never fly economy again. I was greeted with champagne. I had a multi-course meal. The flight attendant was friendly. My seat reclined all the way. It was amazing.

I do love to travel, but I must say the actual traveling part is dreadful. The sitting in airports, dragging luggage, figuring out the public tranportation, and walking to the hostel with your 44 pound backpack strapped to your back part is not fun. It is awful. But the relief of getting to your hostel/hotel, taking a shower, and taking your first stroll around a new city is always worth the grief.

I love London already. I spent time in Europe a few years ago and I had no idea how much I missed hearing multiple languages at one time and admiring the architecture and history and diverse people the continent has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Awww you make me miss Europe. Have a cafe au lait and a croissant for me dear!

    ReplyDelete