Jun 26, 2010

The Children of Gulu Prison

As I mentioned before, women prisoners often keep their children with them in prison. The staff's children are also around. Instead of being professional and networking like I am supposed to, we played with the children after the ceremony. Claire gave them chocolates. We jumped around. One boy hit me with a water bottle and ran away. It was a grand time.


She was my favorite. Claire gave her a chocolate and she held it in her hand for about 15 minutes. We figured out that she did not know what candy was. So Claire peeled off the wrapper for her and instructed her to eat it with hand gestures. She was delighted.

This is everyone.

Children here don't necessarily grasp the idea of how posing for a picture. They run around. Or don't stand close enough to one another. Or they all stack up in the middle. Or they are hidden behind one another.

And most in rural Uganda don't speak English. So it is not so easy to explain.






This picture is for my dad, who requested I put more pictures of myself on blog as a way to ensure him I am still alive and in one piece.

Because writing the blog obviously isn't enough. Photographic proof is necessary.

5 comments:

  1. Julie, I couldn't find you in the picture. It's a good thing that you don't stick out like a sore thumb! The kids are so cute! It's just blowing my mind that they live in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents say the same thing. Where do you think I am if I am not out of the country?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you get some fun kiddo time to balance out the tougher days like the one in the hospital. They are so cute! Where was the picture of you? My parents don't just want pictures, they want me to come home. Now. Apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe your dad thinks you outsourced your blog to a Ugandan. ha. I think you may have started a life long candy obsession for Claire. She'll never forget you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I like that your pictures are time stamped too to also prove to your family that this was indeed a photo taken recently. good job!

    ReplyDelete