Jun 14, 2010

So this one time...

Cory and Adam came to visit me. In Kampala. Uganda.

I cannot describe how nice it was to see familiar faces. I have not seen anyone I have known for more than five minutes in the last 3 weeks. Which I know is not a long time and that I am being a bit of a baby, but when you are the only white person or American in a sea of Ugandans who point and yell their equivalent of "white person" at you constantly, it is very nice to see a familiar face.

Besides the fact that Cory and Adam most likely came to visit to enjoy the luxuries that come along with living in a "mansion", their company was refreshing and it was so nice to be able to commiserate and laugh about the oddities that go along with being a white person in East Africa and the oddities (well what seem like oddities to us) of East Africa in general.

For instance, Adam demonstrated the joy of taking a shower out of a basin of cold water. Cory and I were able to complain about how instant coffee is just not really coffee. I was able to point out how icky the the pile of trash being eaten by goats on the side of the street truly is without worrying that the Ugandan I am with will judge me as an American prude. We could laugh about how even though Ugandans and Rwandese speak English sometimes we have no idea what they were saying! It was comfortable and completely hysterical.

They arrived late Friday night in a "park" in Kampala. I guess "park" doesn't translate well here. Because they were literally dropped off in one of the worst parts of Kampala I have seen, and there were no trees, swings or picnic tables in site.  The three of us then failed to go out to celebrate my birthday,and instead stayed up until 4 am listing the things we miss the most and what our first few days back in the states will be like. All of them included a tremendous amount of food, especially taco bell, pizza, and pancakes. And milk not from a bag.

Tales from the remainder of the weekend, to be continued...

6 comments:

  1. Julie...I hope you get to highlight the "good" side and pictures of Uganda. I am sure its not all dirty kids & dirty streets kinda living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah! I did not mean to say there isn't a good side! I have seen alot of good and I do adore it here! It is just so different and it was nice to be able to have commentary with Americans about those differences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad your friends were able to visit and helped you have a nice birthday.
    I was thinking of you quite a bit, and do everyday.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I COMPLETELY feel you on being able to share with others about how different it is. Not necessarily bad, but different. I am glad for the other foreigners here or I'd be in your boat as well! Can I join you guys for pizza when I get back? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I CRAVE westerners. I know that isn't what I am supposed to do here, but I really need people who understand my world and help me process the things I am experiencing. So far, I've gotten one Canadian and that is it.

    Also, I don't know that I could have made it here in one piece without seeing Nathanial at the Amsterdam airport. That was clutch.

    ReplyDelete