Jun 16, 2010

The "truth"

On Tuesday, we met with Mission After Custody. They are a non-profit that does great work with ex-inmates and inmates. They work to assist inmates with the reintegration process by providing counseling with the inmate and their community. They are currently building a halfway house, which will be a tremendous help to the ex-inmates. They lack funds, but they do not lack enthusiasm or compassion. This is the Mission After Custody family, plus me!


I am pretty sure they now want a Class 6er to join their efforts next summer. No pressure or anything. They are a worthy organization and definitely need the help. And on top of that, they were the most hospitable people I have met in Uganda and that is saying alot. I was fed alot of food and taken care of very well. We even stopped for food from local vendors after they prepared a meal of irish (potatoes) for me. (Which I ate with my hands!)


That is Ronald. He decided he loved me after I took his picture. He is the son of an inmate and was literally left at the front doors of Mission After Custody. They have been taking care of him ever since. Anyone want to adopt him? Because I do!

After lunch, a tour of the construction area, and alot of lively discussion, we were taken to visit a client of Mission After Custody. To be honest, I didn't get why this man was ever in prison or what his story was. It was very confusing and considering I usually only pick up 80% of what is said, I was very confused and just went with it.

Turns out, this man thinks he is a prophet. Seriously. I know that I am not particularly religious and that perhaps this could bias my perception. But this man thinks he is a PROPHET. He has a staff and bishop outfit. His house was FULL of pictures of Jesus and Mary. It was intense. At one point, he turned to me, stared me in the eyes, and said...

"Sister. Do you believe in the truth is?"

I was scared and confused. I mean first of all, I've never been called sister by anyone besides my actual sister. Secondly, I didn't know what he was talking about and didn't know if I should just go along with the "prophet" or not. So I did what anyone would do, I spinned it and asked him what the truth was. He then stared some more as if I was an idiot or as though he was communicating to God that I need to be directed to hell the moment I die. He never really explained "the truth" to me. I guess I will never know...

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I could feel the creepy awkwardness of your interaction with The Prophet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes me too. And you look so good in that picture. Also, I do want to adopt him. Also, if we manage to fail IPSP, does that mean we have to retake it next summer?

    ReplyDelete