Jun 15, 2010

A Saturday with Biggs/Moreland in Kampala

I definitely should have blogged during the weekend as it seems nearly impossible to fit in all of the funny and ridiculous moments that occurred throughout the 48 hours they were in Kampala. I also doubt that my rendition will be any funnier than Adam's rendition, when I say doubt I mean that it is impossible.

We had a lazy Saturday morning, which allowed for Adam and Cory to enjoy the luxuries of constant wireless internet and a nice shower. After feeling clean and caught up on emails and blogs, we walked down to a local bar/restaurant called Country Gardens to eat breakfast/lunch  and catch the first Saturday game of the world cup, Greece vs. South Korea. (The Greeks unfortunately lost, 2-0.) We had some lovely meat and chips. Cory ordered fried chicken, which came out cold, but he manned up and ate it anyways.

After lunch and some football, we headed down to Lake Victoria per Cory's request. I had warned him that this particular side of the lake was not the nicest or prettiest, but he luckily insisted. We jumped on a matatu and headed towards the lake. At one point, pre-reaching the lake, everyone started exiting the oversized taxi, so we did as any confused foreigner would do, we moved with the crowd, went with our gut instinct and luckily exited the taxi. I say "luckily" because now the three of us are able to tell the "naked man" story.

Yup, a naked man. He was strolling down the street. No big deal. Looking confident. (It did distract the local kids from our whiteness for a few moments, which was definitely welcomed.) We will never now why naked man was naked. Did he lose his clothes? Practical joke? And we will also never know where he was going. To find clothes? To his nearby nudist colony? Who knows?

We reached the lake. And no one was that impressed, but hey now Cory has seen the largest lake in Africa.



(Don't worry, I strongly discouraged Cory's facial hair. Repeatedly.)

The main event for Saturday evening was the much talked about US vs. England football game. Cory and Adam decided that it was a must to go to the muztungu filled bar that is Bubbles O'Leary. (This was a must due to their beloved practicum partner Erin O'Leary...) This seemed to be a great decision. There were plenty of Americans to be obnoxious with and plenty of Brits to banter with it. There were even burgers on the menu. We even got there smoothly and inexpensively due to our keen abilities to navigate Uganda and bargain for a good price while at it.

This decision quickly turned in to a bad one when my purse was stolen. Yep, you heard it. My purse was stolen. I stupidly left it on the floor under my barstool. We were sitting next to a small staircase and some wicked, mean-spirited thief stole me purse. I saw her snatch it, but my reaction time and ability to navigate the crowd was way too slow. There are two things I would like to point out about this event.

1. If this is the worst thing that happens to me while in Africa, I will be a happy lady.

2. I came to Africa to help an organization that works to improve the conditions of prisons, where they send people who commit crimes. And then I became a victim of a crime.

Oh, public service.

5 comments:

  1. But i like Cory's bold facial hair choice...what do you have against guys with goatees, Julie?!! Hrmmm...careful how you answer this question...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cory's facial hair = hilarious!! 'Atta boy, Cory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the guys in our class should definitely have a shaving party AFTER they get back. I want to see everyone in full facial hair bloom. Maybe the girls should grow their leg hairs out, too. (wait, just kidding. Not as cool. Even though shaving in a cold shower is AWFUL. Talk about RAZOR BURN.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully nothing too important was in your purse.

    ReplyDelete