Jun 7, 2010

Dirrty

Not like Christian Aguilera circa 2002. I mean like dusty, muddy, trash everywhere, no hot water to shower with dirty.

I thought I would be used to it by now. I was wrong. I miss feeling clean. And not being covered in dirt.

It is more the dust than anything. It barely rains here and the roads are not paved, and therefore dust and dirt is everywhere. And due to the means to which we move around the city and to my pale complexion (which everyone in Uganda likes to point out by pointing at me and shouting Muzungu!), the red dirt gets all over and shows up quite nicely on my skin. I think I have permanently turned a slight shade of orange.

And not having hot water doesn't exactly make the situation any better. Now, I am not complaining about my showering situation. I realize the fact that I have running water is a luzury in comparison to many of my classmates around the world and to most living in Kampala and in prisons across Uganda who lack access to clean water, let alone running water. On the same note, cold showers are not fun. Showering with cold water is not only not hot and not enjoyable, it does not get you clean. Trust me. The towel I use to dry off has turned a shade of brown due to the cold water's inability to thoroughly wash off the layer of dirt.

I have reverted to using lots of deodorant, Stridex face cleansing pads, and scarves to cover my not so clean hair. I may not look nice or smell great, but I think I am managing to make the most of it.

8 comments:

  1. 1. I HATE cold showers.
    2. After Peace Corps, I was sure that the skin on my feet would never return to its normal color. It did, but I lived with orange, embedded dirt for months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I bet you DO look nice in scarves. I've always wanted to be able to pull that off. AND I hate being dirty. You are going to LOVE that first shower back home. Plus, showers are usually better in your own bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lost me at "not like Christina."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miraculously, after 2 weeks, I don't feel as dirty anymore. I am a slight shade of brown most of the time, not that you can actually see any skin on me except my feet and my forearms and my face. When I go into villages, people ask if I am ok because I am so pale. :)
    And I love cold showers...it's the only part of my day when I'm not sweating!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? I think that we got our IPSP's mixed up. Being dirty doesn't really bother me that much (shocking, I know). What does bother me is: walking around town all day long going in and out of metros in dress shoes! You'd rock it, no problem! Me... not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duh, I totally rock the scarves. But I am pretty sure that the Ugandans think I am trying to fit in...

    Well maybe a little bit like Christina...

    Becca! I totally miss my heels! I haven't worn high heels in 3 weeks! Withdrawal! I am worried I will forget how to wear them! On the bright side for you, just think about how awesome your calves are going to look by the end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a dirt tan is probably safer than a real sun tan, plus it exfoliates the skin. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, I think I agree with Becca (although I mind being dirty). I think I'd like a day out of the office. But I'm sure you look great! You can't not look great.

    ReplyDelete