Jun 11, 2010

Its my birthday...

and I am in Africa. Working. It's actually not so bad considering my dear dear classmates Cory and Adam are coming to visit!! I am so excited to see familiar and loved faces!

I am also loving receiving birthday wishes from all over the world! I mean I have to admit that receiving an email from China, a Facebook post from Israel, (hopefully) a video message from Australia, and Skype love from India is pretty freaking cool.

Because it is my birthday I think I will share some of my favorite things about my summer home.

First is Vivianne...

She is wearing a hat today. And I had a photo shoot with her.

I think she is the most precious thing ever.
















Second, are all the other babies running around and yelling "Muzungu" at me. I didn't have a camera with me this morning, but I am not exaggerating, as I walked up the hill from Luzira Remand Prison to the APP house there were about 5 small kids standing near the side of the hill just yelling "Muzungu" and waving violently. This lasted for minutes as it started when I was 10 yards away and continued until I was a good 10 yards past.

So this baby didn't exactly yell or wave to me, but this picture totally illustrates the non-chalant manner parents, I mean mothers, treat their babies. Babies just hang out. On the floor. Usually naked.

American babies are definitely spoiled.



This boy just stared at me. He didn't speak English and seemed quite shocked at my existence in his small village in Northern Uganda.

He is standing next to a wheel barrel full of canisters that are used to haul and hold water. These yellow jugs seem to be the universal water container. They are everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Now you have a Blog birthday wish, too! So I am 100% in favor of the Vivianne stealing. I mean, gosh, where could you find a cuter baby? What can I do to help make this happen? If you share her with me I will help! We can have joint custody, and she would love having 2 red-headed mamas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Julie! Have fun with Cory and Adam this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget about that cool parrot singing you happy birthday I left on your FB wall. I mean it doesn't get any better than that RIGHT?!? We'll celebrate a very belated birthday for you in August. Can't wait!!! ; )

    ReplyDelete