Jun 2, 2010

Don't get me wrong...

I love it here. And am having a great experience and am anxiously awaiting the coming weeks which will involve visiting with people involved at all levels of the prison system here in Uganda and in Kenya. APP is great. The people here are great. But I think I am starting to miss a few things...

My Clinton School People
Yes, you. During my first year at the Clinton School, my life literally revolved around school, but more importantly those at the school. My classmates became more than my classmates, but my friends, colleagues, and family. Now I find myself in a novel country with people who are kind and beautiful, but do not know me or the experiences I have had in the last year. I find myself explaining everything. I definitely take for granted inside jokes and ongoing stories and the social routines of the Clinton School.

Working Out
So I can't exactly go on a job in Kampala. Trust me, it wouldn't really work out so well. I would probably sprain my ankle in a pothole. Or the streets would be too crowded with people to navigate. Or I would be run over by a matatu or boda boda because I looked right instead of left. I haven't worked out in weeks and I'm going crazy. I feel like Erin O'Leary right before Becca kicks her out of the house because she needs to go on a jog!

Feeling Busy
At school, I always felt busy or a sense of urgency, knowing that there was something to plan or an email to respond to or a meeting to attend. Africa time is alot different from Clinton School time. Emails are not a priority. I have to call to schedule appointments, which is unheard of in the states. Meetings run late. People walk slowly. No one is rushed. And yes there are nice elements to this, but I am having a difficult time adjusting...

More to come. Trying not to dwell, but it seems as though today is my first "I miss home" day. I might need to watch some American television via casttv.com to make me feel better...

5 comments:

  1. We miss you too! big hug for the missing home (even if that's too kumbaya for you!). I had a few days like that....it's so different, and you're right, no one knows you well enough to get the jokes and the silly things and such. It is too f'ing hot here to work out so I have just been doing this silly yoga thing which isn't really exercise, but it's something. Good luck finding some way to burn off all the energy you AREN'T spending on being efficient and productive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Julie, consider yourself smothered in electronic kumbaya now!!! HUGS HUGS HUGS.

    You'll be back home before you know it, using your blackberry, busier than ever and working out too. Don't worry, just think of this is temporary, but enjoy this time while you have it, because you'll never know when/if you'll get a chance to be back in Uganda again.

    Here's a video I found for ya: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4580408620668211826#
    = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you to kiddo!
    Still hard to believe you are so far away.

    Don't tell me that you have actually learned how to knit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the shout out to EOL... its SO TRUE! :) I hear you on not being able to work out! I haven't worked out since I got here!... Unless you count walking around the city in dress shoes for 5 hours! But really... we both know that's not the same. I miss my CS peeps as well. I wish that everyone was here in Shanghai... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am incredibly disappointed that My Sister Kenzie was not one of the things you missed..... you may need to make me feel special in a later blog. I love you and miss you. Do you have a flickr account with pictures?

    ReplyDelete