Jun 3, 2010

It's Martyrs Day...

So we went to the Uganda Museum!

I should probably take a second to explain what Martyrs Day is and why it is being celebrated. My understanding, which comes from online sources and bits and pieces that Ugandans have shared, is that today is the day Ugandans honor the Christian missionaries who were killed while spreading the word of Christianity in Uganda. There were large celebrations in Kampala, but word on the street is large celebrations come with large number of police and the possibility of violence, and Joe says to stay away from potential riot situations.

So instead I went the safe route and went to the museum. Jonathan joined me. I like bringing him along for many reasons, first being that he is great company and second being that having a Ugandan companion brings a sense of security.

I had very low expectations for the museum, and those low expectations were definitely not exceeded. As I wandered through the not so tidy, not so organized, not so museumy museum, Jonathan kept lagging behind and I had no idea why. I turned around and he was making a video on his cell phone of everything! I mean everything! And let me tell you the museum was not worth documenting. I kept asking him why he was recording everything, and finally put it together. He had never been in a museum before, this was his first time. I just took for granted the fact that most Americans have been to many museums.

So I made the best of it. Taught Jonathan about the amazingness that are star jump pictures and had a good time! The best part was the huts from the different areas of Uganda!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Julie

    If you want to visit a museaum that's museumy- while in Nairobi check out

    http://www.museums.or.ke/

    ReplyDelete